The one thing I've wanted updated since we moved in was this fireplace. Having just removed brick by brick and stone by stone from my parents' fireplaces in Bear Lake this summer, tearing this baby down was not the number one option. So, I decided to cover it up.
We built a facade around the existing fireplace, framing it out and then sheetrocking, to make it look a little more modern and seamless with the living room. This isn't much to look at, but as of tonight, this is what the fireplace has transformed to:
Eventually, once I get it mudded and taped, we will prime it, paint it, put the baseboard on it, and I will add a mantel comprised of pieces of moulding from Lowe's or Home Depot. The end result should look somewhat like this fireplace (minus the neon blue paint!) over on ThisOldHouse.com.
Secretly, I might be more excited for the fireplace than I am the kitchen. Yeah, I just admitted that.
Beautiful! And the remaining little bit of stone actually looks good, since there's less of it :D
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the idea for the fireplace! Very cool! Forget HGTV. I'm just watching your blog from now on.
ReplyDeleteCool idea! I don't know that I would have thought about doing the cover of dry wall over the top of it. I can't wait to see it finished!
ReplyDelete